BETHLEHEM, Pa. — Distracted Driving Awareness Month, a national initiative occurring each April to encourage safe driving, will take on added significance in Pennsylvania this year.
Starting June 5, Senate Bill 37, also known as Paul Miller's Law, will prohibit the use of hand-held devices while driving.
That will include instances in which drivers are temporarily stopped because of traffic, red lights, construction or other delays.
“It is our hope that all drivers become aware of the new law and help us to improve the safety of Pennsylvania roads..."State Police Communications Director Myles Snyder
Pennsylvania will become the 29th state to enact such a ban, and state police say they plan to fully enforce the law.
But for the first 12 months, the penalty is a written warning only.
“It is our hope that all drivers become aware of the new law and help us to improve the safety of Pennsylvania roads by going hands-free — and distraction-free — before the citation phase begins next year,” state police Communications Director Myles Snyder said via email.
'Please keep your attention focused'
Snyder said state police also plan to make enforcement data visible to the public through their Community Access to Information Dashboard.
The online tool contains crash and enforcement data for both commercial and non-commercial vehicles.
“The State Police is committed to ensuring the safety of our roadways and our troopers will enforce the new law when drivers disregard it."PSP Commissioner Colonel Christopher Paris
“The State Police is committed to ensuring the safety of our roadways and our troopers will enforce the new law when drivers disregard it,” state police Commissioner Colonel Christopher Paris said in a release.
“Every second a driver is distracted increases the risk of a crash. Even a split second of distraction can change someone’s life forever. Please keep your attention focused on the road at all times.
“If you have young drivers in your household, talk to them about the dangers and consequences of distracted driving, and set a good example by putting down your phone while in the car,” Paris said.

'Safe driving laws are about saving lives'
Effective June 5, 2026, the penalty for distracted driving will become a summary offense with a $50 fine, plus court costs and other fees.
Drivers also can be ticketed for every infraction, though the fine will not increase for repeat offenses.
Previously, hand-held cell phone use was a secondary offense in the state — meaning an officer couldn’t stop a driver based solely on a phone being in their hand.
Under the new law, drivers can still use their phones for emergencies, to use the GPS, make calls or listen to music, but only while using hands-free technology.
Beyond a $50 fine, penalties become more severe depending on the circumstances. If a driver is convicted of homicide by vehicle and driving while distracted, he or she may be sentenced up to an additional five years in prison.
“Safe driving laws like Paul Miller’s Law are about saving lives."PennDOT Secretary Mike Carroll
According to PennDOT data, in 2023 there were 11,262 crashes involving a distracted driver, resulting in nearly 6,700 injuries and 65 fatalities.
Distracted driving crash data also is believed to be underreported because of drivers’ reluctance to admit to being distracted at the time of a crash, officials said.
“Safe driving laws like Paul Miller’s Law are about saving lives,” PennDOT Secretary Mike Carroll in the release.
“Your choices behind the wheel can change lives forever. National Distracted Driving Awareness Month is the perfect time for all motorists to commit to putting the phone down.
"Please make the safe choice and never drive distracted.”